This weekend we had a real treat. Dave's sister Jessie, her husband James, and their three kids came to party with us. It was a great weekend all the way around! Jess, please know that I love all your kids, but this blog is dedicated to Jake!
Jake is one year older than Maddie, and I just can't get over how cute they are together. Everywhere they go, they are holding hands. Jake just always seems to be looking out for her. For example: Josh, William, and Jake were having a sword fight with the light sabers, and William had two swords. Jake came up to William with the sweetest voice and said, "Will you please give me another light saber for Matts?" He asked about five times before William gave in. Then, Jake ran over to Maddie and said in a very serious tone, "Here you go Maddie, you will need this to protect yourself." I could tell Maddie was so happy to have someone watching out for her.
That night, I was putting Maddie to bed and in runs Jake with his favorite stuffed animal. He said, "Maddie, I want you to sleep with this tonight." (Adorable!)
On Sunday afternoon we were eating lunch and Jake asked his dad for a drink of water. James said, "I will get you a drink in a minute." Without any of us seeing, Maddie climbed down out of her chair, brought a cup over to the refrigerator and filled it with ice and water and quietly handed it to Jake without a word. Jake said, "Thanks Matts." And then Maddie returned to her seat. The four of us adults sat there stunned that Maddie had even heard Jake ask for a drink. (Adorable!)
Best for last...
On Saturday night we went out for ice cream. Dave and I ordered a large shake for our family to share and we split it up into little dishes. Jessie got her boys chocolate ice cream cones. When Maddie saw what Jake had, she started to cry that she wanted the same thing. I went and got Maddie a cone and I put her ice cream into a cone just like Jakey's. She started crying even more because she wanted chocolate, just like Jake. Dave and I looked at each other trying to decide if we should tell her to suck it up, or should we give in and go get her a chocolate cone. After only a few seconds, Jake says, "Maddie, do you want my ice cream cone?" He had licked every inch of it, but there was still a good sized scoop on the cone. She immediately stopped crying and said, "Thanks Jakey." It seriously was the sweetest most tender moment I have seen in a long time. Jake didn't care what kind of ice cream he had, as long as Maddie was happy. All of us felt like we wanted to somehow capture that moment.
Jakey, we love you so much for being the kindest cousin to Maddie. Happy Birthday on the 18th!
Jake is one year older than Maddie, and I just can't get over how cute they are together. Everywhere they go, they are holding hands. Jake just always seems to be looking out for her. For example: Josh, William, and Jake were having a sword fight with the light sabers, and William had two swords. Jake came up to William with the sweetest voice and said, "Will you please give me another light saber for Matts?" He asked about five times before William gave in. Then, Jake ran over to Maddie and said in a very serious tone, "Here you go Maddie, you will need this to protect yourself." I could tell Maddie was so happy to have someone watching out for her.
That night, I was putting Maddie to bed and in runs Jake with his favorite stuffed animal. He said, "Maddie, I want you to sleep with this tonight." (Adorable!)
On Sunday afternoon we were eating lunch and Jake asked his dad for a drink of water. James said, "I will get you a drink in a minute." Without any of us seeing, Maddie climbed down out of her chair, brought a cup over to the refrigerator and filled it with ice and water and quietly handed it to Jake without a word. Jake said, "Thanks Matts." And then Maddie returned to her seat. The four of us adults sat there stunned that Maddie had even heard Jake ask for a drink. (Adorable!)
Best for last...
On Saturday night we went out for ice cream. Dave and I ordered a large shake for our family to share and we split it up into little dishes. Jessie got her boys chocolate ice cream cones. When Maddie saw what Jake had, she started to cry that she wanted the same thing. I went and got Maddie a cone and I put her ice cream into a cone just like Jakey's. She started crying even more because she wanted chocolate, just like Jake. Dave and I looked at each other trying to decide if we should tell her to suck it up, or should we give in and go get her a chocolate cone. After only a few seconds, Jake says, "Maddie, do you want my ice cream cone?" He had licked every inch of it, but there was still a good sized scoop on the cone. She immediately stopped crying and said, "Thanks Jakey." It seriously was the sweetest most tender moment I have seen in a long time. Jake didn't care what kind of ice cream he had, as long as Maddie was happy. All of us felt like we wanted to somehow capture that moment.
Jakey, we love you so much for being the kindest cousin to Maddie. Happy Birthday on the 18th!
2 comments:
Ohhh, I love it! It was so surreal to watch them together. We have since learned that Jakey would rather be in your famly with Matts, he wants his birthday party at Matt's house, and anything else that has to do with Matt's. We love you guys and are SOOO glad we came. It's just like the temple, it's a long drive but you NEVER regret it! Thanks for giving us Ty's room. He was so nice to share.
I'm at he computer with tears in my eyes. I wish I could have been there. WE are certainly blessed to have such sweet spirits in our family. I am so grateful!. Nettie
Post a Comment