Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our trip to Hawaii.....

Dave, Tyler and I went to Hawaii on New Year's Eve and stayed for one week soaking up as much sun as possible before heading back to Michigan. We decided to count this trip as our Christmas present to each other, our birthday celebrations for turning 30, our 10 year anniversary, Dave's graduation present for completing Medical school, and the number one reason we went was for Dave to do two interviews for a residency program he is interested in. Wow, that is a lot. We had an awesome time. Dave and I hardly knew what to do with all our alone time without Josh and Maddie jumping all over us and talking our ears off. In fact it was our first time EVER going on a trip without them. I don't think they missed us a bit. (Maybe Josh, but not Maddie.) Here we are at the Polynesian Cultural Center enjoying the Luau.

Kate and Thomas, this picture of the dead pig is just for you. It was delicious.
Actually, it was nasty!




We went on a big hike that turned out to be an even bigger hike since we were walking through mud for hours and never found the waterfalls. It was absolutely gorgeous though.
This was up in Laie close to the BYU campus.

I am a bad mom because I forgot his hat!
Here we are at the residents dinner the night before Dave's interviews. The residents were so cool. The dinner lasted 3 hours. The dessert was one of the best, most rich desserts I have ever tasted. It was called a chocolate "lava" cake.
Good job on your interviews Dave, you are almost done!!! (only one more in Cincinnati.) Now, we have to decide if we really truly want to live in Hawaii for five years.
Hmmmm......tell me your thoughts.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow, that trip sounds like a blast! You guys are the cutest couple, and I'm so glad you got to do this. Our New Year's Eve pretty much stunk compared to yours!

Shay said...

How much fun! I say go to Hawaii. I know it's far from family, but it's a once in a life time chance. Can't wait to hear how everything works out. Good Luck to Dave in his interviews!

Alta said...

hmmmmmmm, I pretty much think that is a no brainer. When else in your life are you ever going to be able to live it up like that. Ok to be fair I know that you spent a long time away on a funky island, with weird things happening to you, but its HAWAII! That is my dream place to live. I love it over their. And I know that you will get lots of visitors. ie, I will be their this Sept! That should be reason enough! I am so glad that you guys got to go together. It looks like you had a blast. I miss you a ton too. Tyler is so dang cute! Well, so are you! Lets keep in better touch. hmm that sounded weird, oh well love you tons!

Fancy Nancy said...

Looks so fun, I am glad you guys were able to go. We would visit you in Hawaii for sure!

lynnette orme said...

You are a beautiful couple--the pictures are fabulous. Tyler was feeling no pain and I'm so glad he was easy for you. We didn't een hae time to debrief about the trip so I'm glad I get to see the pictures. I missed the homemade banana leaf hat from the Polynesian cultural center. I bet you didn't know that I have a Polynesian Cultural Center outside my classroom every day. Love you all. Nettie

Jessica said...

I would love to live in Hawaii for five years! I miss the North Shore and good old Laie! Hawaii is magical.