This weekend I did my half marathon (13.1 miles) in Cincinnati with my good friend Emily Skidmore. It was a great race...rain and all. There was talk about canceling the race because of the heavy rain, lightening, and thunder as we were standing there soaked at the starting line at 6:00 a.m.
The race went on.
I felt like I gave it my all and my finish time was 2 hours and 4 minutes. It is a good feeling of accomplishment to run 13 miles. I love it, although I still can't imagine doing a full marathon. 13 miles is perfect, as soon as you really want to be done, you are!
The moment that stands out the most to me during the race was just as I approached the end of a very long, steady incline. My face was burning, I felt so out of breath, runners were passing me left and right, and all of a sudden I felt that I could not get air into my lungs. The air was so thick because of all the rain and I literally was gasping for breath. I thought about people with asthma, I thought about people who suffocate, I thought about people whose lungs shut down, then I thought about my grandpa Graham and I started to choke up with tears.
My mother-in-law's father has almost lost his battle to cancer, but he keeps fighting to make it one more day. Lloyd was diagnosed in January with 2-4 weeks to live. He held on until his 90th birthday; then he held on longer for his wife's 90th birthday. He continues each day with the will to live another day. I became inspired thinking about the life he has lived. Some people do throw in the towel. Some people do quit on life. They quit on their husbands. They quit on their children. They quit on their health. They quit on friendships or jobs, church callings or God. They quit believing in themselves, and quit believing they have a purpose.
Then, there are people like Lloyd and the countless other examples I have in my life who don't quit. I will follow in the footsteps of my grandpa. He is a man that although I have not had lengthy conversations with throughout the years, his endurance and strength of character will always be a pillar in my life.
4 comments:
You're amazing Kristine! I think I'd be wanting to give up after a mile - but you are inspiring me to want to do more.
I love you. Congratulations on your race--I wish I could do it. Thanks for the beautiful tribute to my dad. He does keep going--not giving up. He did the dishes today. Glad we all belong to each other. Love, Nettie
Good job on finishing your goal, that's awesome! I can't picture you ever being a quitter on anything - I'm glad you have great examples to rely on, and that you've been such a great example to me and others. :0)
Kristine you are amazing. I loved this post! Way to run thirteen miles too! Love ya.
Post a Comment