Thursday, February 10, 2011

West Side Story

Tonight I got thinking about one of my oldest friends. I would say this friend has had more impact than any other friend in my childhood. This friend is Grace Rich.
So, tonight I had a voice lesson for one of my favorite students, Evelyn Harper. She is in Jr. High and is so much fun to work with. Tonight I had her sing, "There's a place for us" from West Side Story. As she was singing, my thoughts went back to how much I LOVE that musical. I watched that movie over 200 hundred times I'm sure. Grace and I were so in love with Tony and Riff. We would dance all over the basement and act out the scenes. I thought about my love for that movie, the heart wrenching ending, and the love Maria had for Tony as she held him dying in her arms. I started crying. I couldn't hide my tears from Evelyn. It took me a few minutes before I could even talk again. Before I go on, read the words, and if you have not seen this AMAZING classic, you absolutely must.

There's a place for us, Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us Somewhere.
There's a time for us, Some day a time for us,
Time together with time spare,
Time to learn, time to care, Some day! Somewhere.
We'll find a new way of living, We'll find a way of forgiving
Somewhere . . . There's a place for us, A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there.
Hold my hand and I'll take you there.
Somehow, Some day, Somewhere!

I have never watched this movie and not been sobbing by the end. I thought about my friend Grace and her near death experience last summer whild rock climbing. I thought back to when she was knocked unconscious when we were teenagers in Lake Powell and she crashed into the rocks parasailing. I was shaking her and telling her how much I loved her. Grace leads one of the most adventurous lives of anyone I know and I find myself worrying about her. (Sorry, I didn't know I was going to go in this direction when I started writing this.) I just know if she died, I feel like a big part of me would die also. I started imagining singing this song at her funeral and that is what made me start crying in front of my voice student.
I just want to say how much I love my friends, I love my childhood and wouldn't change it for anything, and I love singing and music more and more. I do believe singing and teaching music is a personal calling in my life. Music is my passion. I am reminded again and again that my dedication and commitment to music is the path I want to travel my whole life.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

"Kris-teeee-een, I just met a girl named Kris-teee-een..."

In all seriousness, this was very touching. Life would be very dull without music.

Anne said...

Really, you were picturing yourself singing at Grace's funeral? That's morbidly disturbing and fascinating all in one. You forgot to mention the time she was almost paralyzed in Oregon doing the rope swing. Crazy girl! When I think of West Side Story, I think of A'cappella at East and watching the actions to "WHat Mirror WHere?? During "I like to be in AMerica." Good times. That mirror was so entertaining.

James and Jessica Ford said...

Oh I love it! I agree with Anne. morbidly disturbing and fascinating all in one. Hilarious! I am still praying rfor the car...oh, what would we do without minivans!

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger,

Please help us! We recently invited you to participate in an online survey run by the Berkman Center at Harvard University about your experiences and opinions as an active blogger. To the best of our knowledge, we have not received your response to the survey. You can participate in the survey by following this link:

http://new.qualtrics.com/SE?Q_SS=6JQPwvHadVhLMXi_4Hp4lVv4k0EMdeI

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
The Blogging Common Team
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
info@bloggingcommon.org

Natalie R. said...

That is a truly amazing movie, definitely one of my favorite musicals! My sisters and I used to listen to the soundtrack on my parents' record player and we would dance all around the living room. Our favorites were "Gee Officer Krupkee" and "Cool." Oh the good memories!

Isn't it wonderful to have such great friends? And I totally agree with you on music. It's amazing how many times I catch myself in a rotten mood and realize it's because I haven't listened to any music all day. :0)