Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sports!

These pictures were taken a while back when we saw a Jazz verses Pacers game with the whole family. As you can see below, Dave made Utah Jazz shirts for him and Josh. They look pretty professional. (Do you ever wonder how Dave has time to do these projects with everything else going on as a first year resident? I do.)

There was great anticipation before the game. Josh on Dave's shoulders...a monkey hanging on Josh's shoulders.
We were ready to cheer on the Jazz!

The Jazz were up the majority of the game and Josh was loving every second of it. In the last quarter, when the Jazz got down, Josh's spirits suddenly changed. I watched Josh go through a wave of emotions...sad...angry...disappointed...frustrated....and finally the game ended with Josh in tears. I couldn't believe my son was crying over a basketball game. That is something I don't think I have ever done.

Maddie, on the other hand was being a goof ball the whole time and thoroughly enjoyed her chocolate ice cream.

Sometimes I really wonder what is going on inside that head of hers.


So, about sports, I am realizing more and more even after all these years of being married,(almost 11) that sports mean a whole lot more to Dave than I will ever comprehend. The other day I was talking to my brother about Dave and his passion for playing sports and Dan said in all honesty, "Dave has the heart of a champion!" I don't know where his life would be without sports, and I am so grateful for the ways in which sports have shaped him. Anyway, this is just something I have been thinking about lately. As much as I absolutely love being involved in a variety of sports, I think I could be able to function in life without them. Dave could not.

So now I can say that my 6 year old son knows more than me about professional basket ball, baseball, soccer, and football teams. He has passed me up in my knowledge this year when it comes to following players and teams. (It isn't too hard to do. ha,ha!) It is cute to see Dave and Josh bonding when talking basket ball and now.....WORLD CUP!

It is midnight right now. Dave just got home a few minutes ago and he is now watching the U.S. verses England soccer game that he recorded while he was working. He is recording every game and has been as giddy as a school boy. We ordered cable for this month only.

Every 4 years...........good times!

3 comments:

Natalie R. said...

I think I fall somewhere between you and Dave when it comes to sports. I enjoy most sports (assuming someone is there to help me understand football and tennis), but baseball is the only one I get emotional about. I've definitely cried over Mariners news/games before (like when Griffey retired a couple of weeks ago). And I'm really excited about the World Cup this year!! I can't believe we tied with England, maybe we have a bit of a chance (especially with goalies like the English bloke yestrday!). ;0)

Natalie R. said...

*yesterday

The WALL Street Times said...

I remember when Dave was in high school and we didn't have the ability to record on the TV. Dave had to buy lots of video tapes and record all games onto the tapes. Do you remember Dave? I bet there are still some in Mom's basement. Have fun watching the cup. GO USA!
I love you all.
Linds