Thursday, October 16, 2008

The joy of losing weight...

Last year on Dec. 3rd, Dave turned 30. This was kind of a big deal in his mind and he made the goal to be the same weight entering into his 30's as he was when he entered his 20's. My husband has always been active and fit, however, he did gain weight (10-15 pounds) after two years of studying day and night in Med school. Well, last December he reached his goal by getting into running. Now it is my turn. I have two and a half months before I turn 30 and I am working my bu** off to get my extra pounds off. Do I think I am going to do it? Heaven's no. I will do my best, but I don't think it is possible to lose it that fast.
It is amazing how frustrating it can be to lose weight after having a baby, but at the same time, I do enjoy the challenge of it. Weight gain is a small price to pay for the marvelous blessing it is to have a baby, so, I am not complaining. However, it is weird to think about how much our bodies go through when we have children. I have gained and lost approximately 150 pounds in the last 4 years!
I have been going to the gym for the last few months, and although I enjoy starting my day off with a good work out, there are also times when I want to start cursing the treadmill. This last week I was offered to go to a free "boot camp" as he called it. The kid teaching it was a pothead looking white boy, long hair, major attitude, and couldn't be over 25. He started asking me about my "goals". I told him I wanted to lose 20 pounds, but I have to be careful how I do it because I am breastfeeding. He looked at me without a clue as to what that meant. He started asking me some basic questions, and then said, "And, how long do you plan to...to...to... do that?" I told him for at least a year, but my goal is two years. He gave me a look of bewilderment. He said in a repulsed tone, "You can do that? I mean, is that ok? That's not normal right??!" So, needless to say, my personal trainer thinks I am a freak.
I have no idea why I feel the need to write this. It just makes me laugh thinking about it. Sometimes in Salt Lake, my friends or family will say, "Wow, Kristine your weight comes off so easily." I just want you to know that it is hard, hard work for me (and most of us) to get back in shape and feel good about our bodies after having a baby. It takes consistent effort. I know there are a lot of us turning 30 this year, so let's all make it a goal to eat healthy and stay in shape.

5 comments:

James and Jessica Ford said...

I'm joining you. I just hope that I am not gaining becasue I am trying so hard to lose it. You know when that happens and you just feel like giving up! Good Luck.

cailin said...

I've just made a goal to lose the weight by Christmas--you know, just in time to gain it back. It's partly necessity so I can fit those pants my sister gave me when it gets colder. Let's keep each other motivated.

Ritch in Love said...

I love fitness goals!! I love planning them and getting the results I hoped for! Have fun!

lynnette orme said...

I'm in also. 15 bls by Christmas. I just sent Jessie all my weight watcher stuff, but all of us can do it with some encouragement. Just think--we can have a big birthday party in your honor. Love, Nettie

Berkley, Meredith, Tanner & Avery said...

Kristine, you are inspiring... that's a great goal that I should consider. But, I still want to eat this chocolate cake for breakfast! haha