Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Happy Birthday Dave!

I remember clearly the very first time the name "David Orme" was ever mentioned in our family. We had all gone out to dinner at Tony Roma's in Trolly Square during the winter of my Junior year of high school. As we were casually conversing my mom said, "Oh, Kristine, I was talking with Lynnette Orme a few days ago and she said that her son David told her how beautiful he thinks you are." "What??!" I thought, "David Orme? What in the world?" I was completely shocked that he even knew who I was let alone he told his mom he thought I was pretty! I kept his name in the back of my mind, but I had no intention of acting on the situation. I did start to watch him a lot closer on the basket ball court and the soccer field, but I still thought, "David Orme and I would be the weirdest couple...I can't imagine it." The last trimester of school my friend Andrea Derrick talked me into being in her weight lifting class. I wasn't sure I wanted to be in the class. We were the only two girls and most the guys were pretty....hmmm....nasty. But then, there he was...the teachers aid was no other than David himself (and Dan Stewart) During that entire trimester, we still didn't say a word to each other, but the staring was getting more and more obvious on both sides.
Another thing we had going for us was church. I moved into his ward the beginning of our Junior year. I think both of us never went to Sunday School, until we started to realize that being stuck in that little room together wasn't such a bad thing anymore. Sunday school became the highlight of my week, but still, we never talked. Dave and I basically had a crush on each other for over 6 months before we ever said a word. Finally, school was out, Dave graduated high school, and by July I knew that he was the ONLY guy I wanted to go out with.
One totally random night that summer, I went water skiing with a big group of guys that were in Dave's grade, but not his close friends. At the end of the night they started questioning me again and again who I "liked". I couldn't stop blushing, but I didn't want to tell them because I knew they all knew him. Finally I gave in. I thought they would say, "Oh, that's cool. Totally go for it." But instead they told me that EVERY girl they know who has tried to go for him has given up in the end because he won't do anything! He won't call them back, he won't talk to them at school, and basically each girl has become frustrated after making all the effort. "Good luck" they said. I think it was right then and there that I decided I was going to go for Dave Orme and prove them all wrong! A week later, Dave called me for the first time!! I wasn't there at the time, but when my dad told me, I was hyperventilating!!! It was pretty amazing because after the first night we hung out, we talked or were together EVERY DAY for the next 8 months when he went on his mission. All the rest is history. I love my husband so much! Happy Birthday Honey! I would love to write all of our hot and heavy moments together but that probably wouldn't be good. Dave is in Las Vegas tonight and has an interview all day tomorrow. Good luck babe!
And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Love, your totally wacky wife!

6 comments:

Anne said...

What a whirlwind romance!

Aimee said...

I just wanted to tell you that this is one of my favorite posts you've ever written. You've inspired me to write down more about my relationship with my husband for posterity. You guys are the best!

Ash and Joe said...

i didn't know that story! what fun.

Fancy Nancy said...

Happy Birthday Dave! Let's hear those hot and heavy moments... Kristine may not tell me, but I KNOW Dave will!!! (remember Las Vegas car ride?!!!)

missandyd said...

Oooo I want to hear about the Vegas car ride! So do I get credit for introducing you guys? Because the way I see it if I never begged you to come into the class you would have never had all those chances to see Dave to awesome squats and make googly eyes across the room. Man that place stunk but Dan Stewart was pretty hot(only second to Dave though)!

Orme Family said...

I will NEVER discuss the Las Vegas car ride again!