Friday, July 4, 2008

"Bundle of love"

What a day! Happy 4th of July everyone. I am too tired to really say all that I want to say, however, I haven't posted for a while and I have thoughts I want to share. I always feel a bit of anxiety every time I come to Utah, and this time was no different. Now that I am here, I am happy to have this time in Salt Lake. It was really good for me to have 3 months in Michigan to adjust to having my third child before coming to Utah.
I would guess that more than half of my friends who read my blog know about Tyler, but for those of you who don't, Tyler was born with Down Syndrome. It feels a little weird that I haven't mentioned it before on my blog but I guess I preferred to keep the shock of it all more to myself. My purpose in writing this entry is to let my friends know that I am comfortable talking about it, and people do not need to be afraid to bring it up. I am going to give a little recap of how it happened.
I had a wonderful pregnancy, the best of all three. I felt strong and healthy right up until the end. I had two ultra sounds that showed him as a healthy baby boy. I believe that if I would have had Tyler at a hospital, my experience would have been extremely different than it was in the birthing center. (Other mom's I know who recently had down syndrome babies got a very different reaction when their babies were born) I feel the way our midwife handled the whole situation could not have been better. She gave Dave and I about 2-3 hours to bond with Tyler and get a little sleep before she came in to tell us the news. It would have been too much for me to handle if I would have been told right off the bat. I am grateful for those few hours to feel at perfect peace about the birthing experience and about my new son.
Dave and I were both emotional and overwhelmed after hearing that Tyler had Down Syndrome. It is hard to put into words our thoughts and feelings during those first few days. Although we were scared and unsure, I remember clearly, that more than anything else, I felt an outpouring of love for my little Ty. I still do. It is a love that I don't think I have felt before in quite the same way.
There is so much I could say and write, and perhaps I will at a later time. Sometimes I feel like my life as I imagined it is now completely different; different in a really good way. It excites me to see the way in which Tyler is opening my eyes to a whole new world.
I was a little nervous about bringing him to Salt Lake, because I wonder what people are thinking and I don't like to make people uncomfortable by bringing it up. I feel like I have the best friends, family, and neighbors in the world though. Dave and I have been shown so much love. Thank you for that. We needed it. I love my three kids so much. Tyler is doing great. We have nothing to be concerned about at this time with him health wise. What a blessing. I have no doubt that there are going to be numerous challenges, but Dave and I will just take them as they come. At just three months of age, you can sense something special and unique about Tyler. He's my little "bundle of love".

8 comments:

Shay said...

Wow Krisine. I never noticed on your blog anything different about Tyler. Thank you for sharing for your experience. I know that he was sent to you for a reason and because you two are great parents. I know that kids with Down Syndrome are special angels sent from above. What a neat way they handled the situation in the birthing center. I'm so amazed! You are such a great mom!

Briana said...

Kristine... I am so proud of you for posting this blog. You are such a wonderful mother and Dave a wonderful father that I know that Tyler will have a beautiful life full of love. I can't wait to meet him. I'll be in SLC in August. love, Bri.

Anne said...

Can't wait to meet him.

Sum & Ben said...

You are amazing!! Little Tyler is so lucky to have such great parents!! I am so excited to meet him! We definitely need to get together! We would love to have you and the kids out one day for a play date... Rebecca and I live so close to each other it would be great to all get together! Talk to you soon!! -Sum

missandyd said...

I wish I was there in SLC with you! I am sad that I am going to miss out. I really admire your attitutde on life and Tyler (awesome name by the way) your such a strong and loving person, your a great example to me. I will see you in August.

Joel and Crystal said...

We love you guys and miss you! you have a beautiful little family and I think Heavenly Father trusts you a great deal to send such a special spirit to you!

Ritch in Love said...

Something that sticks with me is how calm you have been since you gave birth to Tyler. It's as if you have been emotionally, mentally, and physically prepared to handle such a special spirit. Of all the people in the world, you two, will be the perfect parents to guide him in this life. I look forward to seeing you again sometime and meeting your sweet boy!

Natalie R. said...

You and Dave are going to be such perfect parents for little Tyler, just like you have been for Josh and Maddie. I can't wait to meet the little guy, he is so adorable! Enjoy your time in Utah, we wish we could be there with you. :0)